Happy Wednesday! I hope you are having a good day!
I decided to do a impromptu social post today, rather than a foodie one. I am now half way through the last week of my summer job and am on the downwards slope. It has been a really interesting few weeks, working with little 5 and 6 year olds in a kids camp. We’ve done so much art and crafts (as messy as you’d expect), salt dough, baking cookies (even though they look good, I don’t eat them because you’d be amazed how badly they wash their hands ew…) and dancing (it is adorable watching tots try to coordinate their limbs) that I can’t wait for a rest.
I now understand why parents can be so tetchy sometimes. Kids are snotty, messy, whiny, love to cling on your legs when you really need to go tidy something, can’t tie their shoes… The list goes on really, but they have also been a lot of fun. When they aren’t being annoying, I actually enjoyed myself. It has been a pretty good month, and it also helps that I made a grand doing it. That brings me on to the theme of this post; reasons to be cheerful and get me through my last few days. So, here we go:
- I’m going on holiday on Sunday! I’m going to France with the family (which also means I don’t have to pay for it) so for two weeks I won’t have to worry about anything. It also means I will have ready access to proper French baguettes, pan au chocolate and chocolate tarts – yum yum
- When I get back from holiday I am going back to Canterbury and moving in to my new house for the year, which I am super excited about. My first week will without doubt be spent batch cooking food (don’t worry, I will share my recipes!). It will also mean I can go back to having a room of my own!
- My friend in Canterbury recently sent down the fabric I bought to make a dress – I am part of a medieval re-enactment group and need to make my kit in time for the Hastings show in October (it is the 950th anniversary so it is going to be a huge party). In the package, she also sent me down a gorgeous skirt that she found in her cupboard that no longer fit her! That was a great surprise
- A different friend of mine gave me some of her canvases that she painted a while back for free. They are totally gorgeous and I can’t wait to hang them on my wall:
- I have pre-ordered the 10th anniversary copy of Vampire Academy, a book by my favourite author Richelle Mead. Even though I won’t get it until the end of November, I am still so psyched.
- I have almost finished editing my book after working on it for almost 5 years. You have no idea how happy I am to finally have reached a place where I no longer worry about it!
- It is less than a month until my penpal is coming to England to visit. I went out to Spain to spend a week with her in July (I can’t believe over a month has past since I went) and it was amazing. Because I stayed with her, the entire holiday cost me about £150 for a week including flights and food; impressive, right? Whilst there, I tried some really spectacular food (some of which you can see in the pictures) and am very excited to return the favour by introducing her to traditional British cuisine: curry, Chinese, fish and chips, roast dinners, sticky toffee pudding etc. Let me know if you can think of something else I should introduce her to! We are also going to spend a few days in London and have tickets to see Phantom of the Opera which is going to be epic!
- My sister is always there to cheer me up. I have been feeling kinda down recently, why I honestly don’t know, but she is there for me and always manages to make me feel better. Love you, schwester!
As you can see, I have lots of reasons to be happy and these will definitely keep me going when the next child comes up to me during my break and asks me to sort out a stupid little problem. And for the astute among you, you will have noticed the dinosaur in my collage of pictures from Spain. I really still don’t know why, in the middle of Cadiz’s botanical gardens, there was a brontosaurus in what was otherwise a really pretty little clearing. I suppose it is there to make people smile – and it certainly did me!
Remember there are always reasons to be cheerful, even if it is only the thought of getting home to your bed ! Have a great day!